Thursday, September 10, 2009

Isaiah 6:1

“In the year King Uzziah died, I [Isaiah] saw the Lord. He was sitting on a lofty throne, and the train of his robe filled the Temple.”

Isaiah was one of a privileged few to glimpse God on his throne, surrounded by angels singing their praises. His first reaction was deep humility; in verse 5 he said his destruction was sealed, and he recognized his sin. But once an angel touched his lips with a burning coal, his sins were forgiven, and he was called to service for the Lord (vss. 7-9).

Mystical experiences described in the Bible fascinate me. I am amazed that Moses was bold enough to ask God to show him His glory—and then God actually answered that request but allowed Moses to only see God from behind! I’m intrigued by the fourth person in the fiery furnace, whom many scholars believe to be the preincarnate Christ. And I find the account of the Transfiguration amazing to consider. Surely I would have reacted the same as Peter, James, and John that night—even though they had spent three years in Jesus’ closest circle, they were absolutely terrified to see him in all his glory. I long to see God face-to-face, but I don’t really understand what I’m asking when I wish for that.

I think when God allows me to have a mystical experience, it’s not for my own selfish gratification. It’s to show me that the God I worship is real, and to encourage me to keep pressing on. Sometimes my experiences have edified others, but most of the time they’re for my own private growth. I’ve learned to be very careful to listen to the Holy Spirit’s prompting whether I should relate the experience or not.

Another way I benefit from reading today’s account and other biblical accounts of seeing God is my reverence for him is increased. I thank God he gave me a mother with a passion to model a personal faith to me, and it's the kind of true faith I want to pass on to my own children. However, I sometimes feel myself getting too casual with God, and accounts like today remind me to worship reverently, pray on my knees, and praise him just for how awesome and majestic he is, like no other.

We all have to strike a balance between knowing God personally and worshiping him in reverence and humility. For me this takes form in intimate, best-friend-type prayer conversations contrasted with a traditional form of corporate worship. That’s how I feel comfortable, but you might do it differently, and that’s fine. As long as both elements are present, we can have a well-rounded faith.

What can you do to increase your reverence for God or your personal relationship with him? And if you’ve had a mystical experience, how has it deepened your faithwalk?

Copyright 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment