Wednesday, August 19, 2009

1 Corinthians 12:12-13

“The human body has many parts, but the many parts make up only one body. So it is with the body of Christ. Some of us are Jews, some are Gentiles, some are slaves, and some are free. But we have all been baptized into Christ’s body by one Spirit, and we have all received the same Spirit.”

When people become new believers, the Holy Spirit takes up dwelling in their hearts. And each new believer receives a spiritual gift, intended for building up the church. That is why it is so very important that if you are a believer, you are to be actively participating in your church body—the body can’t benefit from your spiritual gifts unless you share them.

Shortly after I was married, my husband and I became members of our church. But it was a few years until I actively participated in a small group or in ministries. Until I chose to share my gifts, I really wasn’t getting much out of church—have you found this principle to be true in your life?

This verse talks about the importance of many parts making up one body; this is true both within individual churches and between other churches and denominations. As much as I enjoy time with fellow members of my own church, it’s good for me to get to know other Christians from sister churches within my denomination, and also to fellowship with other Christians outside my denomination.

The danger of associating only with people from your own church or denomination is thinking that your own little group is right in itself, and that’s unbiblical. I’ve gained so much perspective and respect for other Christians through Bible Study Fellowship and Mothers of Preschoolers, both interdenominational organizations. I want my children to learn that all true believers share the same Spirit of God, and that unites us.

One of my friends from MOPS said that when her father was asked his denomination, he would say, “I’m a Christian; I just happen to attend a Baptist church.” I really like that attitude, because though doctrine is essential, it doesn’t have to keep us from loving each other. We are all united as the church if we know the one true God personally.

How do you relate to people outside your church or denomination?

Copyright 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment