Thursday, August 6, 2009

1 Corinthians 2:12

"And God has actually given us his Spirit (not the world's spirit) so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us."

This verse builds on yesterday's focus verse, and it explains how Christians can recognize the message of the cross as the very power of God. I also enjoy Paul's further explanation in today's reading, 1 Cor. 2:14-16.

I find it incredible and amazing that a person of the Trinity, the Holy Spirit himself, takes up residence in a believer's heart. When I consider it, I wonder how I ever get discouraged or weary at all! Yet as the Bible says, I am like a common clay vessel (prone to weakness), but I am filled with the power of God through the Holy Spirit. It's wonderful!

How does the Holy Spirit work in your life? This is how I've found him to work in mine. One example: I will pray for God's wisdom and guidance on a certain topic. Then, in the next few days or weeks, I will hear a certain song regarding the topic, or it will show up in the Sunday sermon, or it will "just happen" to come up as the topic of a radio broadcast. And of course, it will pop up in my daily Bible reading as well. The Holy Spirit works in mysterious ways, but they are wonderful ways too. Rarely does God speak directly to me today like he did to people in the Old Testament. But He speaks to me through my current connections, if I ask for the Holy Spirit's help and avail myself to good resources.

Another way the Holy Spirit works in my life is by pricking my conscience. As my faith has grown, especially since I've become a parent, it's become easier to recognize the world's spirit working through music, television, and movies. I don't want to expose my children to the world's spirit in the media any sooner than necessary, and as they grow, I plan to teach them critical thinking skills to evaluate what they see and hear. So I carefully monitor our family television viewing and what's playing on the radio in the van. But I've also learned that what isn't good for my children isn't good for me either, because I am God's child, as they are. That's why I try to read movie reviews before I watch a movie, to discern whether it will be pleasing to God for me to expose myself to certain images or ideas, even as an adult. This is a major change compared to what I listened to and watched before I became a mother. And I credit it all to the Holy Spirit sensitizing my conscience. Has your conscience become more sensitive lately?

Today, I'm going to ask God to send his Spirit so I can know the wonderful things He's freely given me. Will you do the same?

Copyright 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment