Saturday, August 22, 2009

Psalm 37:30-31

“The godly offer good counsel; they know what is right from wrong. They fill their hearts with God’s law, so they will never slip from his path.”

We moms constantly teach our children right from wrong. Just yesterday, I had to teach that hitting is not okay, biting certainly isn’t okay, speaking disrespectfully to Mom is wrong, and not obeying the first time is wrong too. Every night when I pray with my children, we ask God forgiveness for the things we did in disobedience to God or to Mom or Dad, and also for the things we did to each other that were unloving. All the sins I can think of in our daily lives fall into those two categories. That’s why Jesus said the two greatest commandments are to love the Lord with all our hearts, souls, and minds, and to love our neighbors as ourselves (Matthew 22:37-39).

How was I able to recall those verses from Matthew just upon writing these words? Well, as every parochial school student knows, this was one of a plethora of memory verses that I had to practice and recite to the teacher—and the verses are still with me years later. I also spent a year studying the book of Matthew in Bible Study Fellowship. In these ways I’ve filled my heart with God’s law, and it is the basis for all the instruction I give my children in teaching them the difference between right and wrong.

It takes effort to study the Bible, memorize scripture, and apply it to our busy lives. But if we Christians don’t make it a priority, it’s not long before our lives veer off track from God’s plan. This week I read about a certain denomination that is reconsidering its ban on ordaining homosexuals to the ministry. Scripture is crystal-clear on this matter; because people have not filled their hearts with God’s law (homosexuality is sin), they are slipping from his path. That’s why it’s essential that we connect ourselves to a church where the Bible is upheld as inerrant, infallible, authoritative, and relevant to today’s culture.

Will you commit yourself to filling your own heart with God’s law so you will not slip from his path, and to teach your children or family to do the same? How can you make God’s Word a scheduled priority this week?

Copyright 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment