Friday, August 21, 2009

Psalm 37:25-26

“Once I was young, and now I am old. Yet I have never seen the godly forsaken, nor seen their children begging for bread. The godly always give generous loans to others, and their children are a blessing.”

These verses are not simply about material blessings and financial peace for committed Christians. They speak of an unfailing principle: God never forsakes those he loves.

When I went to college in the Smoky Mountains, one of my favorite ways to spend my free time was hiking in the woods. One evening after work I hiked down a path with my Bible and I asked God to speak to me, whatever he wished. I thumbed through a few New Testament chapters until I came to the book of Hebrews, and I heard a still, small voice speaking directly to my spirit through Hebrews 13:5b: “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

At the time of this experience, I didn’t quite know why God chose to speak to me through these particular verses. However, as the years went by I began to understand that he had handpicked these verses for my healing. Through difficult situations that dredged up childhood memories, I realized one of my oldest, deepest fears was abandonment, since my parents had divorced when I was young. In those situations the verse came back to me—I will never leave you nor forsake you, he says—even if the whole world forsakes you, I the Lord your God, will never do that to you, because you are my child, and I love you.

In addition to the peace and healing that I’ve experienced through God’s promise, I’m also living proof that God provides abundantly for his children. I have always had enough food and clothing, nice living quarters, a comfortable bed, and many, many other material blessings. I am not a follower of a “prosperity gospel,” nor am I ignorant of the fact that many committed believers around the world do not always experience material blessings. However, the underlying principle in these verses holds true in every circumstance: God loves to lavish his children with blessings, whether material or spiritual.

Can you count your blessings, both material and spiritual, and give God the credit for them?

Copyright 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment