Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Psalm 32:6-7

“Therefore, let all the godly confess their rebellion to you while there is time, that they may not drown in the floodwaters of judgment. For you are my hiding place; you protect me from trouble. You surround me with songs of victory.”

When I pray with my children at bedtime, we use Bill Hybels’ ACTS method of praying—Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication. I want to teach them humility as they approach God. First we praise him, using an attribute that we’ve discovered in our nightly Bible story. Then we confess our sins and ask Jesus to make our hearts clean. (I confess my sins too!) When we thank him, my boys participate by listing their items from the day. Only after all that do we ask him for blessings and help.

I hope by using this method, I am teaching my children to get their hearts right first, then make requests. I try to model speaking to God personally as a friend, while also reverencing him with praise and adoration.

Since I’ve been using this method for several years, the most valuable portion for me is confession. It’s important for me to confess some of my sins in front of my children, such as impatience or yelling. I want them to know that I struggle with sin just as they do, and I also need God’s forgiveness.

Sometimes when my boys have disputes, my oldest son is unwilling to admit fault even when I knew he was guilty. Then I say, “If you would just tell the truth, we can deal with it. You will face more consequences until you confess your part.” I become more annoyed about his denial rather than about the sin itself! I’m sure God feels somewhat like this about me—he doesn’t enjoy being a disciplinarian, but he will do what is necessary to get me to confess my sin, so our relationship can be restored.

If you look at today’s psalm, you see the consequences David faced when he didn’t confess his sin. He felt awful and weak as he faced the Lord’s discipline. But once he confessed, he was forgiven and all was well again. That’s why all of us need to confess our sin—not only to avoid judgment, but to be right with God.

Is there anything you may need to confess to the Lord today, maybe in front of your children?

Copyright 2009

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I came to your blog from Tracie Miles- 5 Day Faith Challenge. When I ready your comment it was like you took the words right out of my mouth...5 AM rise time, "arrow" prayers, Christian radio, etc. I am praying God will move in mighty ways in the lives of each of the participants...:) Lana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting, and I'm in the 5-Day challenge with you. I hope that you will be encouraged to make any changes the Lord puts on your heart through the challenge. This morning I did get up at 5 a.m. and walked on the treadmill for an hour, and I know it's because God is helping me and prodding me through the challenge. And I also sat down for quiet time too. I want both of those to be daily habits...is that something you want me to pray that you adopt for yourself too?

    ReplyDelete