Saturday, August 29, 2009

Job 32:8-9

“Surely it is God’s Spirit within people, the breath of the Almighty within them, that makes them intelligent. But sometimes the elders are not wise. Sometimes the aged do not understand justice.”

Job’s friends were trying to help him after he suffered immeasurable loss, but their words were spoken without wisdom. They didn’t help Job at all! What they shared based on intelligence was far from the insight and understanding Job really needed.

This reminds me of the Pharisees in the New Testament. They were careful students of the law, knowing it backwards and forwards, even adding many restrictions that God didn’t put there. Their know-it-all nature was a huge roadblock in their understanding of who Jesus was. The Pharisees knew the prophecies better than anyone else, yet they didn’t recognize the Messiah right in front of them. They knew the Law but missed the Gospel, and you can’t have one without the other.

I’m ashamed to admit that I’ve acted like a Pharisee before. I have always been academically gifted and my learning skills transferred to religious and spiritual studies in high school and college. For various reasons, though, I used my knowledge to shut people out—exactly opposite of what the Gospel teaches. Gradually I learned to open myself up to others so I could give and receive love the way God intended, especially as I became a mother.

In mothering I’ve also learned the difference between intelligence and wisdom. Before I was pregnant I read every book I could get my hands on about caring for a newborn. The books were very helpful for preparation, but I learned the most through the experience. Now that I’ve been a mother for 5+ years of three children, I’ve had many opportunities to grow in wisdom.

So, how does your “head knowledge” about God enhance or hinder your relationship with him or others? And how can you grow in wisdom where God has placed you now?

Copyright 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment