Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Psalm 31:23-24

“Love the Lord, all you faithful ones! For the Lord protects those who are loyal to him, but he harshly punishes all who are arrogant. So be strong and take courage, all you who put your hope in the Lord!”

Today’s verses are a snapshot of an authentic Christian. Let’s check it out.

First, a Christian loves the Lord. My love for the Lord is somewhat like my love for my husband. Romantic love waxes and wanes after 9 years of marriage, just like feelings of spiritual excitement ebb and flow. I choose to show “everyday” love for my husband in my daily actions and in my long-term commitment, no matter what happens or how I feel. I also show God “everyday” love by spending early morning time in Bible reading and prayer and by living in obedience, even when I’d rather do my own thing.

Christians are also faithful and loyal to God. Faithful means taking time every day to listen to Him and speak with Him. It also means regularly worshiping and participating in a church body. And Christians are loyal—they don’t give up their faith even when they are suffering, confused, or frustrated.

One thing you will not see in the life of a true Christian is arrogance. God is displeased when someone is proud, selfish, and unteachable. I ask God often to reveal any traces of selfishness in my life, and help me remove them.

Authentic Christians are strong and courageous. I think of the armor of God described in Ephesians 6:10-18. God gives us this battle gear: power, truth, righteousness, peace, faith, salvation, his Spirit and his Word, and prayer. We don’t have to be strong or courageous in ourselves—God provides all we need for warfare!

Finally, a true Christian puts her hope in the Lord. As a Christian mother, I never give up hope that my three little ones will grow up to be authentic servants of Christ. I don’t worry that my efforts to pass on my faith will be wasted, because I trust that God has a perfect plan for me and my children.

What characteristics of an authentic Christian are you exhibiting, and which ones might you need to work on, with God’s help?

Copyright 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment