Monday, August 3, 2009

Psalm 26:2-3

"Put me on trial, LORD, and cross-examine me. Test my motives and affections. For I am constantly aware of your unfailing love, and I have lived according to your truth."

How many of us are bold enough to ask the Lord to cross-examine our daily lives? When I focus on my failings, this verse seems so intimidating. But I have learned that when I seek out God's opinion on my heart's desires, what He reveals to me is always for my good.

When I ask God to show me if I have any selfish motives in a decision, he always answers that prayer! As my husband faced several job changes in the past few years, selling our house became a perennial source of contention, because I was unwilling to let it go. This is the house we built from the ground up, even clearing the trees ourselves. Our house was built in the same area where my family has lived for six generations. And as many moms do, I dreamed that this house is where we will create many lasting family memories.

In many different ways, God spoke to my heart as I pleaded with him to let us keep this house. He slowly and gently revealed to me that I had made the house an idol, allowing it to serve as a source of security and comfort, which only God can satisfy. So, as the verse describes, my motives and affections were tested, and God was very patient with me during the process. As difficult as it has been, my willingness to surrender this house to God--even though the house has belonged to Him all along--has strengthened my faith immeasurably.

We are still living in this house, and I still want to keep it as long as possible. But I am learning that I am a steward, and this house is a gift from the Lord. My job is to enjoy it and care for it, but not to put my trust in it in any way. I have peace that the Lord will provide for us and clearly show us if or when we should put it up for sale. And my surrender has also improved my relationship with my husband. We are learning to respect one another's point of view about the house, and to sometimes agree to disagree. If I hadn't asked the Lord to test my heart about the house, I could not have experienced these blessings.

Are you bold enough to ask the Lord to test your motives and affections? I guarantee He will answer that prayer for you.

Copyright 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment