Sunday, August 23, 2009

1 Corinthians 15:21

“So you see, just as death came into the world through a man, Adam, now the resurrection from the dead has begun through another man, Christ.”

After our daily breakfast prayer, I read a short devotion from A Child’s First Bible by Kenneth N. Taylor. Yesterday we looked at the story of the fall. The book reads, “Adam and Eve did not obey God. So God made them leave the pretty garden. What a sad day that was!”

As I started my morning tasks, I thought to myself, “What a sad day that was…surely that is a profound understatement.” Adam and Eve ate the fruit because they were deceived by Satan, but also because they had an impure desire: to be God. Before the first bite they didn’t have the knowledge of good AND evil; afterward they did see the difference, just as God does—but of course they didn’t know everything that God knows. So Satan’s promise was only partly true (isn’t it always?), and ever since that day all of us have lived under a curse of death, and we’re still trying to be gods.

It’s easy for me to see how my “big” sins have caused ripple effects…but even the “little” ones cause unintended damage. Such as, when my son overhears me speaking critically on the phone, and later he shows the same critical spirit to his brother, I realize how far-reaching the consequences of my “minor” sins become. Like Adam and Eve, I don’t have any idea how destructive my sin is at the time of the offense.

Praise be to God—we can find freedom from the curse through the death and resurrection of Christ Jesus! Do you realize that if you believe in Jesus you don’t have to face physical death with fear? Our eternal life will be like Adam and Eve in the garden before the fall, and more! We will see God face-to-face and walk and talk with him like they did, and we will know and love each other perfectly, without any pretense or selfishness. And we’ll share eternity with all the other believers that have ever lived. We’ll be completely free from the curse of sin and death because Jesus paid the penalty for us at the cross.

Have you accepted Jesus as your personal savior?

Copyright 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment